I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Driftwood Turtles

As promised...my turtles.  
The first one I did is hanging in the grandkids room here at the Hawaii House.



The writing below is vinyl I cut on my cricut... just peeled and stuck on the wall. I glued a little starfish at the end!


Here's the process...like in the last post, I cut a basic shape out of plywood as my base and painted it brown.  No need to be perfect...just a suggestion of shape.


Started gluing pieces of driftwood forming the various shapes of the turtle shell, fins, head and tail


I've since made 2 more turtles...they'll hang outside on the wall of Kipp's lanai.  
I'll eventually do 3 to have an odd number 








Monday, September 15, 2014

"Drift Wood" sea creatures


My latest project...outdoor sculptures.  We've all seen these....sort of east coasty driftwood things...thought it would be fun to make one for our outdoor kitchen area.  We don't really have a lot of drift wood here in Hawaii...but we have lots and lots of Kiawe trees which break limbs quite easily in the wind.  I take a shopping bag on my morning walks and collect interesting shaped pieces.

The base of my sculpture is plywood...whatever I can find dumpster diving at the construction site next door.  This piece is 3/8" I think.  I found an image of a whale I liked online.

I used the printed image as a "guide" and sketched out the whale. In the winter we have lots of whales travel up and down our coastline so I thought this image would be appropriate. Obviously the size of my whale was dictated by the size of the plywood I found.  I borrowed a saber saw from my neighbor and talked Chris into cutting out the rough shape.  A little sanding on the edges and...

and Ta Da!!!!  my whale
I painted the plywood a gray brown to hide any wood that would show through the "sticks"
Now of course, I don't have any progress pictures of actually gluing on the kiawe pieces...but I just sort of laid out a pattern that looked like the whale i.e. fins...tail...etc and used E6000 glue to adhere the individual pieces.  I used a flat landscaping stone for the eye...just glued curved pieces of wood around it to simulate his eye folds. Didn't really take long at all.  I used a large picture hanger thingy on back, hammered a nail right into the plaster and hung my "sculpture".  It's pretty heavy...I was concerned it might not like being outside during wind storms...but we've weathered some pretty severe storms and it's still hanging in there.  Here's how it looks in the BBQ area


I've done some turtles...I'll share those in my next post!