I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Friday, October 24, 2014

Wooden Christmas Ornaments



I got a new toy...a Scroll Saw!!!  Something I've wanted for awhile. My daughter-in-law asked me if I could make a few things for the new babies room...(ideas she found on Pinterest).  I said sure...just need a new saw :)  How great is this thing...endless project ideas.


I made Katie's things then started in on fun things for Christmas...I did a little research online looking for  scroll saw patterns...seems its mostly old woodworking guys making creepy trivets and things...figured I could just sketch out my own designs and figure out the cutting as I went along.  It's super easy and really fun.  For the ornaments I thought starting with Christmas trees would be quick and easy.  I bought some 1/4" poplar at Home Depot and went to town.

I just traced multiple images using a template I cut out of paper...


How fun does this look? 
Once I got the hang of it I tried more complex designs...but later on that.
Once all the trees were cut out, I sanded them to smooth the edges. 
(actually the scroll saw leaves a pretty smooth edge) 

You can see the moose ornament?...that's my fancier shape
I drilled a hole at the top of each tree (for hanging...duh)
I wanted a "weathered" look to the wood and found a formula on Pinterest that sounded easy...I mixed up a STRONG cup of tea and added coffee grounds to it.  I painted it on each of the trees...stained the wood a little...not much and I was skeptical it was going to work...but the second stage worked like a charm.

Next, I mixed steel wool and vinegar in a jar and let it sit overnight.  Apparently the tea mixture mixed with the vinegar mixture "grays" the stain like old barn wood.  It's so cool...it worked.

I painted on the vinegar mix...left the room and 1/2 hour later when I returned it was quite brown and gray.
When they were dry I sanded off some highlights, tied hemp twine through the holes and I have a bunch of new Christmas ornaments.  I made a bunch more designs today...I'll share later.





2 comments:

  1. Fabulous, and boy would I love a saw like that too! But just got a sewing machine so need to use that first! Oh and the dremel i got a year ago and have yet to open, sigh! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday, wonderful to "meet" you and hope you'll be back!

    ReplyDelete