I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Printing Fabric Using Inkodye

Well, once again it's been forever since I've posted.  It's not like I haven't been doing things...but I always forget to "document" my projects with photos...and then the finished product is given away before I can share.  This new thing is SOOOOO fun, I just had to let you in on it.  I saw a post on How About Orange, a cute and clever blog, and knew I had to try it.  So fun.  As a lifelong silkscreener, the printed image has always held a certain fascination for me.  This is along the same lines, but the image actually becomes part of the fabric rather than "sitting on top of it".  It uses the sun to "cure" the ink you've applied to the fabric while your stencil blocks the sun from developing where you want your design to remain undyed.  It is much like the sun prints we made as children using special paper and leaves as designs.  Instead of cardboard cutouts as stencils like the All About Orange post used, I cut out objects from contact paper with my Cricut, adhered them to fabric, painted on the reactive dye and watched the sun do it's magic.
Here's my fabric (with contact paper stencils adhered), 
the dye  ready to brush on in a darkened area.

Once in the sun, it begins to turn orange 
(there are also other colors one can use)
The longer it's out in the sun, the darker it gets
The brochure recommends 8 minutes for bright sunlight
Bring inside, remove stencils and wash in 
hot soapy water.
Finished fabric, ready for sewing

Zippered pouches...lined with Provencial fabric
The names on pouch #2 are the grandchildren of my girlfriend!

Here are a couple other projects I've started
Light blue linen dyed dark blue


and this will be a pillow...probably dark blue as well


To purchase this stuff...go to their website...
they ship super fast








2 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Laurie! We posted about you on the official Lumi Pinterest page: http://pinterest.com/lumihq/lumitypes-in-the-wild/

    ReplyDelete