I've had this project in mind for quite a long time. Ryan's bedroom (at the Manzanita remodel) has been the last place we've worked on (since it's upstairs and no one sees it). To continue the nautical theme I thought it would be cool to make a bunch of 18" square pillows for the head of his bed using signal flag designs. I went to Kona last monday and bought a yard of red, white, blue and yellow. I didn't really care which (flag) letters I used, I was sort of going for cute and colorful. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I saw the nautical napkin post by Purl Bee yesterday. Now I look like a big ole copycat :( Oh well, happens alot in blogland I guess...She did a really nice job and I'd suggest checking out her post. Great tutorial and great photos. I haven't finished yet...Ryan arrives from Asia today and so we'll head into Kona to pick him up and maybe I can stop by the yardage store for zippers and backing. Thought I'd share my progress so far...these are VERY colorful and quite pretty...think they'll make a statement in a white beadboard room!
Saturday, June 18, 2011
The Big Island of Hawaii has several areas where you can find petroglyphs. They're very cool...and many of the island logos reflect the cool graphic nature of the designs. I thought it would be fun to silkscreen a border using one of the designs...the Honu (turtle). I bought a rayon dress clothing blank from Dharma Trading Company (a very cool place to buy everything related to textile arts) and dyed it with Rit Dye
following the package direction...I got the dress wet first,
added salt and let sit in the dye bath overnight.
The dye didn't take as well as it usually does,
kinda splotchy...but kinda tie-dye ish so I like it
Next...for the design. I sketched out a pattern
of turtles and transferred to clear
contact paper (for the silkscreen stencil)
I carefully cut out the images with an Xacto knife
saving the inside cutout pieces to add to the silkscreen
to complete the images
screen with stencil adhered, ready to print
with squeegee and fabric ink I'm ready to print
I used the ironing board so as I moved around the hem line
the wet images wouldn't stick to one another
and transfer ink where I didn't want it to go
After heat setting the printed images...the dress
was ready to go!
Friday, June 10, 2011
Whew...Ryan competed in the Honu 1/2 Ironman last Saturday. He did great...such an effort...we're all very proud of him. It's a huge undertaking...his goal was to qualify for the World Championships...and even...with a run he wasn't thrilled with...he did! This race is a 1.2 mile swim in Hapuna Bay, a 56 mile bike along the North Kohala Coast...Hapuna to Hawi and back, and then a 13.1 mile (half marathon) run through the grounds of Mauna Lani. Here are a few photos of the event...
The cheering section
mass start for the swim...1600 athletes churning the water
the swim finish
the bike ride
the finish (yes, that's 4 hours 36 minutes of hard work)
And now...Ryan and his girlfriend Katie are off to Thailand for
some fun and Vietnam to help build a house for Habitat for Humanity
Friday, June 3, 2011
We've been here (the Hawaii House) a week now. Just getting back in the routine. I've been painting trying to build up some inventory for the gallery in Hawi (I've sold quite a few pieces the last couple of months...yipppeee) Now, just waiting on frames to get here. I never seem to have the right combo of mattboard, frames or glass on hand so I can just paint, frame and hang. But here are a couple of the new ones heading to the gallery
On a side note...Ryan is here to compete in the
Honu 1/2 Ironman tomorrow. The 3 of us have
been playing a bit of golf...super fun. Here we are at Hapuna,
even more fun because I beat the boys...
We played Waimea CC a few days later...payback...
they beat me :(