I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Printed Onesies (Hawaiian Baby Gift)


A dear friend will be a grandma for the first time in just a few days.  I wanted to make something fun, practical and Hawaiian.  It's not an original idea (there is a local company that makes a similar style on toddler t-shirts) but it's a clean design, cute and clever and I wanted to make a couple.  I bought a package of Onesies at WalMart the other day and dyed them with bright yellow Rit Dye.  




                                                


I drew a stylized octopus and the Hawaiian word for it
cut it out of freezer paper for my stencil
Same thing with a crab

Next I ironed the freezer paper to the onesie


I mixed up a rust color and spongebrushed through
the stencil onto the onesie.  I let it dry and reapplied a second coat

Finished Octopus
...and crab


2 comments:

  1. found you through onw pretty thing. this is such a cute idea! i applique onesies but am loving the simple, clean look of the animal and words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! gotta love freezer paper!!!

    ReplyDelete