I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pine Needle Basket

I have wanted to make one of these forever..well...since I saw one once in a museum and thought..."I can do that!"  The Manzanita House has several huge pine trees that seem to drop an unending supply of pine needles everyday...insert lightbulb here...the house needs a pine needle basket or two on the new mantle!  So, I found this cool "how to" site, read it, and started making one last night.  My first attempt will be kind of messy and unprofessional, but I know my next will be better.  Looks like it will be a fun project for Hawaii.  I gathered enough pine needles yesterday for about 10 baskets...they're all boiled and softened, and if I can get them past Hawaiian agricultural (ha ha, just kidding) I should have hours and hours of mindless projecting for the next couple of weeks!

So, here are the first steps...think the finished basket won't happen until I've got a few days of down time in Hawaii.  Here is the pile of pine needles after boiling for 10 minutes (to clean and soften)
These are my prepared bundles to take to the Hawaii House.
And here is the start to my basket...I'm using raffia as my "thread"


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed just with the start that you can make something so "good" out of "just" needles you collected outside! I want to try one of your projects as soon as a school break comes along but I don't think this is going to be the one! Instead, I think I will try the "ticket bowl" I saw from an earlier post -- you know, the one with the ticket stubs and the glue. That looked pretty creative AND easy. We'll see what happens when I try it, though! :D

    ReplyDelete