I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Pine Needle Basket Update

Well, I must admit this isn't my most successful project ever....but I have learned a LOT.  My next one should be fabulous :)!  I have run out of the pine needles gathered from Ryan's house (this was to be a housewarming present using his very own pine needles) so finishing the basket will have to wait until I'm back in California.  I did discover that the mauka (mountain) road from Waimea to Hawi is lined with pine trees! They are a different variety, the needles are very different, but I think they'll work.  I have to work the gallery in Hawi on Monday and need lots of projects to keep myself busy, so will start the new basket then.


 

I think raffia isn't my thread of choice anymore. The widths 
are too inconsistent, the lengths are too short,
and it breaks too easily.  I'm going to try this polished hemp and 
see if I like the look better.

Here's what the "Hawaiian" pine needles look like. They're individual
needles (not groups of 3 like Ryan's) much thicker, and
they have little "joints" every 1/2" or so that should add
some texture and interest.  I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted the basket! I was wondering how that turned out. I think it is good for a first effort. I'm sure that takes practice. Can't wait to see the next one! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete