I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Bleached Hawaiian Shirt

















I need to take a present to Christian tomorrow that he'll think is cool. I'm baking cupcakes and frosting them with green icing...but thought he should have a cool new "Hawaiian" shirt too. I've seen a few people in blogland doing the bleach on dark cotton t-shirts...a project I tried a loooong time ago and thought it would be a fun way to make a little boy's t-shirt cool. I started with a black t-shirt (100% cotton) from Target ($5.00), a bottle of bleach and some freezer paper. I cut out stencils of hibiscus flowers and ironed them to the t-shirt. I then mixed a very strong solution of bleach and water...5 parts bleach to 1 part water and carefully dabbed it on with a foam brush. It only took about 2 minutes for the black of the t-shirt to start turning a very pretty rust. When I was satisfied with the color of the bleached sections, I washed the t-shirt to remove the bleach and stop the process. I think it looks neat, we'll see what Christian thinks tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment